Ignacy Matuszewski

Born in 1891, he studied philosophy at the Jagiellonian University, architecture in Milan and law in Tartu, Estonia. From 1914 he served in the Russian army, reaching the rank of staff captain. In 1917 he joined a Polish military organization in Petersburg and served in the Polish Corps under the command of Gen.Dowbor Musnicki, and subsequently joined the command of the Polish Military Organization in Kiev. After Poland regained its independence in 1918, Matuszewski served, with the rank of major in the II Department of the High Command, becoming its chief in 1920.
He took part in the negotiations of the Riga Peace Treaty with the Soviet Union. In 1924 he was promoted to colonel and served as military attaché in Rome and as envoy in Budapest. In 1931 he became Secretary of the Treasury and directed the evacuation of the Polish gold in September 1939. In France he volunteered for the Polish army as a private and was not accepted. He left for the U.S.A. in 1941. In 1943, he was one of the founders of the Pilsudski Institute, of which he was Vice President (1944-1946). He died in 1946.